EN-ENGL v.1 English Language Enabling Course for Domestic Students
This course is not available to International Onshore Students on Student Visas
Students undertake one unit over one semester.
Additional Course Expenses
Students may be expected to purchase a number of textbooks and other essential study materials. Students may be expected to purchase an English-English dictionary
Course Entry and Completion Details
This course is only available for international students with an English proficiency level of not less than IELTS band 5 in all four skill areas, or a TOEFL score of 520 or a CUTE D with a minimum of 4.0 in each area.
Credit for Recognised Learning
Applications for credit towards a course are assessed on an individual basis. Credit reduces the amount of learning required to complete the course and may be granted for formal education qualifications, non-formal learning from non-award programs of study and informal learning through work experiences. Further information can be found at http://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au.
Course Learning Outcomes
A graduate of this course can:
1. transfer generic academic literacy skills to their own discipline
2. analyse and evaluate own and others’ ideas in order to develop an academic voice
3. apply knowledge of grammatical structures and academic vocabulary in order to write and speak accurate, meaningful and comprehensible English
4. apply academic language and study skills to suit the conventions of a variety of disciplines
5. use library technologies to access research
6. reflect on the learning process to develop autonomous learning strategies
7. show an awareness of current global issues and how they impact on local cultures
8. recognise the importance of various cultural and linguistic perspectives including those of Indigenous Australians
9. develop fluency in the linguistic pragmatics of a discipline; manage independent and team projects to a professional standard
|Year 1 Semester 1|
|ENGL0001||v.1||English Language and Academic Literacy||100.0|
Course Structure Disclaimer
Curtin University reserves the right to alter the internal composition of any course to ensure learning outcomes retain maximum relevance. Any changes to the internal composition of a course will protect the right of students to complete the course within the normal timeframe and will not result in additional cost to students through a requirement to undertake additional units.
Information in this publication is correct at the time of printing but may be subject to change.
In particular, the University reserves the right change the content and/or method of assessment, to change or alter tuition fees of any unit of study, to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/ or to vary arrangements for any program.
This material does not purport to constitute legal or professional advice.
Curtin accepts no responsibility for and makes no representations, whether express or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability in any respect of any material in this publication.
Except to the extent mandated otherwise by legislation, Curtin University does not accept responsibility for the consequences of any reliance which may be placed on this material by any person.
Curtin will not be liable to you or to any other person for any loss or damage (including direct, consequential or economic loss or damage) however caused and whether by negligence or otherwise which may result directly or indirectly from the use of this publication.
International students studying in Australia on a student visa can only study full-time and there are also specific entry requirements that must be met. As some information contained in this publication may not be applicable to international students, refer to international.curtin.edu.au for further information. Australian citizens, permanent residents and international students studying outside Australia may have the choice of full-time, part-time and external study, depending on course availability and in-country requirements.