MJDU-ADVPR v.1 Advertising and Public Relations Double Major (BCom)
This major/stream is part of a larger course. Information is specific to the major/stream, please refer to the course for more information.
This double major is designed to enable students to develop an understanding of the role and effect of advertising and public relations within the business, social, and political arenas. Students develop abilities and skills that prepare them for a wide range of professional opportunities that include - media planning and relations, research, client services, and major communication roles.
This course is accredited by the International Advertising Association and the Public Relations Institute of Australia.
Major/Stream Learning Outcomes
A graduate of this course can:
1. apply the knowledge of the advertising and public relations process to develop and implement solutions for business problems encountered in both fields; researching and identifying techniques to measure advertising effectiveness and develop public relations campaigns
2. follow systems and processes for problem identification, planning and articulating client briefs, developing media plans and executing advertising pitches and developing public relations campaigns
3. ability to source data or information from multiple sources ;with the ability to make judgement and validate information collected.
4. communicate verbally and orally to prepare reports, press releases and deliver presentations
5. use various technologies for the collection of materials, filtering content and validating information of reliability and consistency to enable business decisions
6. ability to ask questions, self-learn through experiential learning as part of the course and for future employment
7. understand the issues surrounding advertising and public relations in a global borderless environment; appreciate and understand the international standards applicable to both industries
8. understand and appreciate the difference in Advertising and Public Relations within the context of different cultures and a multi-cultural and global setting
9. working in teams within an organisation with appropriate etiquette, understanding different roles and responsibilities at various organisational levels and working within the ethical standards of the advertising industry
Duration and Availability
This double major is available to international students studying in Australia on a study visa.
|MJRU-ADVRT||v.1||Advertising Major (BCom)||200.0|
|MJRU-PUBRL||v.1||Public Relations Major (BCom)||200.0|
Information in this publication is correct at the time of printing but may be subject to change.
In particular, the University reserves the right change the content and/or method of assessment, to change or alter tuition fees of any unit of study, to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/ or to vary arrangements for any program.
This material does not purport to constitute legal or professional advice.
Curtin accepts no responsibility for and makes no representations, whether express or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability in any respect of any material in this publication.
Except to the extent mandated otherwise by legislation, Curtin University does not accept responsibility for the consequences of any reliance which may be placed on this material by any person.
Curtin will not be liable to you or to any other person for any loss or damage (including direct, consequential or economic loss or damage) however caused and whether by negligence or otherwise which may result directly or indirectly from the use of this publication.
International students studying in Australia on a student visa can only study full-time and there are also specific entry requirements that must be met. As some information contained in this publication may not be applicable to international students, refer to international.curtin.edu.au for further information. Australian citizens, permanent residents and international students studying outside Australia may have the choice of full-time, part-time and external study, depending on course availability and in-country requirements.